Live your life with an appreciation of coincidences and you connect with the field of infinite possibilities. Chopra.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

So simple, so good.


A few weeks ago I picked up a special issue cooking magazine put out by Fine Cooking called Soups and Stews.  We love soup here, especially my 15 year old and I, so I knew we would get a lot of use out of it.  The first recipe that caught my eye was a simple "Classic Tomato Soup" recipe.  I knew it would be a hit here and when I finally made it yesterday the boys made it quite clear that we had a new go to recipe for tomato soup.  My 15 year old especially loved it and was quite upset with my today when he learned I ate all the leftover soup for lunch.

I posted the recipe in my notes on Facebook.  I'll post it here also for any blog readers who aren't FB friends.  If you aren't though, why the heck not?

Classic Tomato Soup from Fine Cooking Magazine

Serves 8, tastes even better the second day and can be frozen though I doubt you'll have any left to freeze.

2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
28 oz can pureed plum tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 sprig fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oil and butter in a 5-6 quart Dutch oven over medium-low heat until the butter melts.  Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 8 minutes.  Add the flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic.  

Add the broth, the pureed tomatoes, sugar, thyme and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.  Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat while stirring to make sure the flour doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Discard the thyme sprig.

Let cool briefly and then puree in two or three batches in blender or food processor.  Rinse the
pot and return soup to the pot.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Reheat if necessary.  Serve warm but not hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment