Live your life with an appreciation of coincidences and you connect with the field of infinite possibilities. Chopra.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Allergies are annoying.


My poor little guy has inherited his Nana's skin.  We have to use Free and Clear products on anything that touches his skin, including laundry detergent, fabric softener, soaps, shampoos and so on.  Nothing makes me sadder than watching him after he wears something that was washed with other products as he looks like he's trying to scratch his skin off after 10 minutes of contact.  

This child of mine is also accident prone, or rather, he's a kid that really puts himself out there. Tricks on his bike, jumping off the highest thing possible, he actually could climb the ladder to the treehouse slide before he could walk.  My oldest says he knows A. has more fun, but A. also ends up with more than his fair share of bumps and bruises.  

One of our go to products over the years has been kids Polysporin and we have gone through tubes of it.  A little while ago A. started getting a rash any time he had a band aid on.  I had noticed before that some band aids bother his skin but this was the first time I had noticed a rash where the pad part of the band aid was, where the Polysporin had been.  

I phoned the Dr. to set up an appointment with the Dermatologist but it wasn't until the end of June.  When the boy's Dad came to pick them up last week he took A. to see the Dermatologist that lives at the end of our court.  He diagnosed A. as being allergic to the Polysporin (how that happens after years of use I don't know) and prescribed not only a cream to treat the rash but we also now have a prescription antibiotic cream in case of future injuries.  

Funny story, not 10 mintues after talking to Dr. Murphy and asking about something to replace the Polysporin, A. fell of his bike in the garage and ended up with a scrape and a huge bruise.  Maybe he is just a little accident prone.

On the subject of allergies, I have an appointment coming up in May to be tested for allergies also.  My Dr. had wanted me to be tested for several meds I have been allergic to since I was a child anyways but I had been putting it off.   After a few scary food related reactions the Dr. and I decided it was time.  I've been told it isn't that bad.  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment